Dia-Compe 11s Road and 10s Dynasys Downtube Shifters
These are so much more than 11 speed downtube shifters. With over 50mm of total cable pull, these shifters will work with just about any derailleur. We've tested them on Shimano 11 speed road and Shimano 10 speed mountain (Dynasys). Here's what you need to know:
- Designed for 11 speed, but will work with fewer speeds
- Better option for 10 speed drivetrains than our other Dia-compe levers
- Non-indexed, micro ratchet design
- Right barrel is larger than the left for more cable pull
- Not compatible with bar end or "thumbie" mounts because of the oversized barrel
- To calculate the amount of total cable pull your drivetrain requires use the following formula:
total cable pull = cable pull of intended shifter * (s - 1), where s is the number of speeds of your cassette. If the total is less than 50mm, these shifters should work.
Using these with a new Shimano 105 11-speed cassette and crank set. Works very well, and I can even swap in a campagnolo chorus-11 hub and cog set without adjustment.
These have a similar feel to the old Simplex friction levers, but the much larger barrel makes them compatible with my modern derailleur and cassette. There is a tiny amount of backlash in the ratchet mechanism, but it is really barely perceptible--i don't notice it at all on a ride.
All that friction from handlebar mounted shifters is gone. You get that nice taught pull of the cable directly on the derailleur. It's so sensitive I can feel the chain moving with with my fingertips.